I Am Your Disease

This poem was sent to me by a friend at the National Catholic Council on Addictions. The author is a member of the NCCA but prefers to remain anonymous. I found it to be a real eye opener.

I AM YOUR DISEASE

night time on the water

I hate meetings.  I hate higher power.  I hate anyone who has a program.  To all who come in contact with me, I wish you death and I wish you suffering.  Allow me to introduce myself.  I am the disease of addiction…alcoholism, other drugs, eating disorders, work holism, etc.

I am cunning, baffling and powerful!  That’s me!  I have killed millions and I am pleased.  I love to catch you with the element of surprise.  I love pretending that I am your friend and lover.  I have given you comfort, haven’t I?  Wasn't I there when you were lonely?  When you wanted to die, didn't you call me?  Wasn't I always there?

I love when I make you so numb, you can neither hurt nor cry… You can’t feel anything at all.  That is true glory.  I give you instant gratification.  I have always been there for you.  When things were going right in your life, you invited me.  You said you didn’t deserve these good things, and I was the only one who would agree with you.  Together we were able to destroy all things good in your life and all I asked of you was long-term suffering.

People don’t take me seriously.  They take strokes seriously, even diabetes.  Fools that they are, they don’t know that without my help, these things would not be made possible.  I am such a hated disease and yet I do not come uninvited.  SO MANY HAVE CHOSEN ME OVER REALITY, PEACE AND SERENITY.
More than you hate me; I hate all of you who have a 12-Step program.  Your program, your meetings your higher power, all weaken me and don’t allow me to function in the manner I am accustomed to.

Now I must lie here quietly.  You don’t see me but I am growing bigger than ever.  When you allow me to control you, I live.  When you live, I can’t.  But I am here….and until we meet again, IF we meet again… I wish you continued death and suffering…

I AM YOUR DISEASE.

by an anonymous National Catholic Council on Addictions member

On April 29, 2013 the NCCA will be holding a Drug and Alcohol Addictions Workshop, at the Archbishop Edward T. O’Meara Catholic Center, 1400 Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46206. You may receive 5 CEHs for this workshop.  You can contact the NCCA by calling (248) 391-4445  Ext.1200. A copy of the Agenda for the workshop is listed below.


       DRUG AND ALCOHOL ADDICTIONS WORKSHOP
Monday, April 29, 2013
The Archbishop Edward T. O’Meara Catholic Center
1400 Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46206


AGENDA

8:00am to 8:45am- Registration

8:45am- Welcome- Fr. Paul White, President NCCA

9:00am to 10:00am- PRESENTER: Melanie Margiotta, M.D., The Kolbe Center
- Medical Aspects of Addiction

10:00am to 10:50am-PRESENTER: Fr. Paul White, President NCCA
- The Family and Addictions

10:50am to 11:00am BREAK

11:00am to 12:00pm-PRESENTER: Terry Sullivan, Guest House Outreach
-Spirituality and Recovery from Addictions

12:00 to 12:45pm- LUNCH (provided)

12:45 to 1:00 - Guest Speaker

1:00pm to 2:15pm - PRESENTERS: Erik Vagenius, MHS, Director of Substance Abuse Ministry
for the Diocese of Palm Beach and Deacon Bill Jones
- Establishing a Parish Substance Addiction Ministry

2:25pm to 3:15pm - PRESENTER: Susan Day, Fairbanks Treatment Center
-Addiction Resources

4:00pm MASS at the Cathedral

PLEASE NOTE: You may receive 5 CEHs for this workshop. We will have a certificate available at the end of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment